Saint James the Great, Egerton
The Street, Egerton, Ashford, Kent TN27 9AJ
The village of Egerton sits on the crest of a range of hills on the Greensand ridge, with the Kent rag stone near the surface that was used in the building of many churches and houses, including its own church of St James.
St Jamesʼ church, a Grade 1 listed building, has Norman roots, originally as a daughter-church to Charing. Although it is not quite old enough to be in the Domesday Book, it did make a listing in the Domesday Monachorum, the later annex added by monks.
The church tower is over 100ft high and can be seen for many miles, hence it has a beacon tower. This was used to warn of invasion and is one in a chain of churches with that function.
There is a fine display of Darell monuments on the north side of the church in memory of Sir John Darell (1435 – 1509). These were originally in the church of Little Chart: St Mary that was bombed in 1944, and then placed during the 1950’s in Little Chart’s new church. In 2007, they were restored and installed in St. James through the generosity of a member of the Darell family. Egerton church also boasts a splendid chandelier made in 1699 and donated to Egerton in 1856. The 36 candles are lit for special services and celebrations.
Services in Egerton
1st Sunday 0930 Family Service
2nd Sunday 0800 BCP Holy Communion (April – September)
3rd Sunday 0930 BCP Matins
4th Sunday 0930 Common Worship Eucharist
On 5th Sundays the whole benefice comes together for a Family Communion Service. Please see the calendar for details of venue.
Other events in Egerton
Egerton has an exceptional community spirit, with a large core of enthusiastic volunteers. Amongst other events, they work hard to produce a successful Village Fete, a Christmas Fayre and a renowned music festival.
Women’s Institute Institute meets monthly and enjoys a rich variety of talks and events . For more information click here.
Over 60s Club meets monthly for talks and social events. For more information click here.
Egerton Church of England Primary School
The church has excellent links with the village primary School. For school website click here.